Saturday 1 November 2008

Great Ormond Street Hospital card appeal

One of the reasons why I think we love to craft is, not just for the pleasure we get from doing it, but also from the pleasure of giving something handmade to someone.

As we come up to Christmas it's nice to think not only about our nearest and dearest that we are going to create for but also about those who may not be able to give a card to someone because they are in hospital, are sick, in the forces abroad or do not have the means.

I'm setting up a scheme that I hope might grow and I'd love it if you could join me!

This Christmas I'm arranging to have cards made to send to the children at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. Many of you will be very familiar with the amazing work the hospital does. Many of the children are in hospital around the festive season but the staff try to make it as special time as possible.

Wouldn't it be lovely for the children to have a special card that they can give to the nurses who help them so much, or to a family member or friend who visits them!

The staff at the hospital would love for us crafters to donate a box of cards (blank on the inside so the children can write it themselves) in the run up to Christmas. The cards will be distributed by the play workers on the relevant wards.

I really hope you can join in - could you find 10 minutes to make a card? It can be really really simple - just something cheerful! Or do you have a spare Christmas card in your stash?

All you have to do is put the card and an envelope in a cello bag if you have one (don't worry if you don't, just pop it in the envelope). Also it would be great if you could write a very brief note wishing the recipient well, hoping they enjoy using the card you've made for them etc. If you don't want to do this/don't have time not to worry. Put the note inside the card and send to me by Dec 5th - plenty of time!

Please ensure the inside of the card has a pale background to be easy to write on.

If you want to help please email me at kate_lewis23@yahoo.co.uk or leave a comment below so I can email you - either way I will send you my postal address.

Thanks so much in advance!

Kate xx

14 comments:

ikki said...

Lovely idea, I will find time! Ikki

ikki said...

Have put a link on my blog for you. Hope you are successful and receive many cards. Ikki

Crafting Queen said...

Great idea and would love to make a card.

Alexandria said...

Kate, I have quite a few Christmas cards that I am willing to donate if you will send me your address. My email is alexandrialee2001@yahoo.com

CraftyC said...

I am willing to help kate, will email you when I get a moment!
Clairex

Fiona said...

Lovely idea - do we send our cards to you Kate?

Anonymous said...

Great idea, would love to help. If you e-mail your address I'll gladly send you some. xxx

Victoria said...

count me in - my email is angeldrummer@hotmail.co.uk

a fantastic idea x

craftymumof3 said...

What a lovely idea. I'm sure I will have some cards I can send. I will also link this on my blog

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea and would love to help out with a few cards

Sally said...

I think this is a wonderful idea, please count me in. I put a post on my blog for others to see.

Sallyxx

tiggersoo said...

what a lovely and inovative idea. I run a small craft club and will dedicate my next meet to your cause

Pambalf said...

Lovely idea i'll get on the case straight away! if u could email me your address to rpbalfour@tiscali.co.uk il also let my friend know her pc isnt working just now but im sure she'll join in aswell!
Pam xx

Hazel said...

I wish I'd found this earlier - GOSH has a real place in my heart and I would willingly have sent cards to you. I could get some into the post on Monday, but I guess that would be too late because you said the deadline was yesterday.